Chinese New Year is around the corner!!!
Since I have memory, Chinese New Year is always one of my favorite festival in Taiwan. All the family reunions, so many good food and traditions, and of course, red envelopes and fireworks. I always remember weeks or even months before the CNY, mom would be super busy making all these traditional Chinese dishes such as Chinese meatballs, braised pork belly, and “eight precious rice puddings.” She would always make so many to share with families and friends. Also, the home made sweet red beans sticky rice cake and radish rice cake from my grandma is the best.
As this will be my very first year away from home after I got married, this time of the year makes me homesick the most. 😥
I tried to make a couple mama’s traditional CNY dishes from the taste of my memory. These delicious food makes me feel so much better. 🙂
Servings: 3-4 Total Time: 90 mins Difficulty: intermediate
- Pork belly 2 lbs
- [Spices] Garlic 4-5 cloves
- [Spices] 4 Green onions separate greens and whites
- [Spices] Ginger 8-10 slices
- [Spices] 4-5 dried red chili
- [Spices] 3-4 Cinnamon leaves
- [Spices] 2 Star anise
- Sugar 2 tbsp
- Rice wine 2 tbsp
- Shaoxing cooking wine 2 tbsp
- Dark soy sauce 3 tbsp
- Low sodium soy sauce 1/2 cup
- Water 1/2 cup
- Heat up a saute pan with 1 tsp of oil in high heat. Stir fried all of the [Spices] ingredients for 30 seconds, then place the big chunks of pork belly to sear.
- Until all of the meat chunks are golden, stir fried in sugar, wine, and soy sauce for another 1-2 mins.
- Transfer the meat into pressure cooker with water, turn to high heat to build up the pressure. Cook under high pressure for 25 mins then turn off the heat and wait until natural pressure release.
TIPs I: Boil some shanghai bok choy to place on the plate to serve with the braised pork belly would not only make better looking dishes, but also healthier.
TIPs II: Marinated the meat overnight would make the dish more savory.
- 五花肉 2磅
- [辛香料] 大蒜 4-5 瓣
- [辛香料] 4 根蔥，分蔥白與蔥綠
- [辛香料] 8-10 片薑
- [辛香料] 4-5 根乾辣椒
- [辛香料] 3-4 片肉桂葉
- [辛香料] 2 粒八角
- 糖 2 大匙
- 米酒 2 大匙
- 紹興酒 2 大匙
- 老抽 3 大匙
- 薄鹽醬油 1/2 杯
- 水 1/2 杯
- 熱油鍋，爆香所有[辛香料] 約30秒，放入五花肉塊煎至表面金黃
- 將炒好的豬肉倒入壓力鍋中，加入水，大火煮到高壓後轉小火，計時 25 分鐘後關火，等自然洩壓，放置隔夜後更入味好吃喔!!