This is one of typical Taiwanese street vendors food. If you ever visit Taiwan, one place you must not miss out is the “night markets” where there are full of food stands, little shops, and drinks. Shui jian bao is one of the very common food you would see in these street markets.
It is very tasty with freshly made, soft on top but crispy at the bottom skin with juicy stuffing. Be careful, it is really hot!! Add a little bit of hot sauce or hoisin sauce… mmm just taste amazing.
Servings: 20 buns Total Time: 3 hours Difficulty: intermediate
- All purpose flour 2.5 cups
- Instant yeast 1 tsp (3 g)
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Warm water or milk 160 ml
- Ground pork 0.5 lb
- 1 large egg
- Ginger finely minced 2 tsp
- Scallion finely minced 1 cup
- Cabbage finely minced 2-3 cups
- 2 small carrots finely sliced
- 2-3 large Shiitake mushrooms diced
- [seasoning] Rice wine 1 tbsp
- [seasoning] Soy sauce 3 tbsp
- [seasoning] Fresh cracked black pepper 1 tbsp
- [seasoning] White pepper powder 1 tbsp
- [seasoning] Sesame oil 2 tsp
- [seasoning] Salt 1/2 tsp
- [seasoning] Cornstarch 1 tbsp
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients for skin. Slowly pour in the warm water and stir until it become a clean dough. Then cover with a plastic wrap, place the dough in room temperature for about 40 mins (20-30 mins in Summer) or until it rise to twice the size.
- Finely dice all vegetables and stir with 1 tsp of salt. Place all vegetables on a colander to drain extra water.
- Mix ground pork with minced scallions, egg, and all of the seasonings until it is sticky. Then mix in the drained vegetables and diced mushrooms.
Assemble and cook
- Knead the well raised dough until it is smooth on a working desk with lots of flour dusting. Then separate the dough into 20 small pieces (about 1 inch cube each.)
- Roll the small dough into a 2 mm thick cercle. Place 1-1.5 tbsp stuffing in the middle. Then start folding the rim of the crust until it is closed and shaped into a small round bun.
- Heat up a non-stick pan with 1 tsp of oil in medium to high heat. Place in the buns with at least 1/2 inch distance apart. Fried the buns for 1 minute and then pour in 1-1.5 cup water mix with 1 tsp of flour.
- Place the lid, when water turns to boil, turn to medium to low heat and let it simmer for about 12-15 minutes. Then open the lid to let the water evaporate out.
- Sprinkle some white sesame on top to garnish. When the water cook out and the bottom of the skin turns to golden crispy, then ready to serve!!!
- 中筋麵粉 2.5 杯
- 乾酵母粉 1 小匙 (3 g)
- 砂糖 1 大匙
- 溫水或牛奶 160 ml
- 豬絞肉 0.5 lb
- 1 顆全蛋
- 薑末 2 小匙
- 蔥花 1 杯
- 高麗菜末 2-3 杯
- 2 條小紅蘿蔔 擦細絲
- 2-3 朵大香菇，泡軟切小丁
- [調味料] 米酒 1 大匙
- [調味料] 醬油 3 大匙
- [調味料] 粗粒黑胡椒 1 大匙
- [調味料] 白胡椒粉 1 大匙
- [調味料] 香麻油 2 小匙
- [調味料] 鹽 1/2 小匙
- [調味料] 玉米粉或太白粉 1 大匙
- 在一個小鍋中將所有麵糰材料混合，緩緩倒入溫水，用筷子攪拌成一個光滑的麵糰。蓋上保鮮膜後，在室溫發酵約40分鐘 (夏天的話約 20-30 分鐘就夠了喔)，或是到麵糰發到約 2 倍大小。
- 準備工作檯與足夠的手粉，將發好的麵糰揉到表面光滑有彈性後，用刀子切成20小份 (每份約 2.5 公分立方)
- 將每個小份麵糰搓圓後擀成約 2 mm 厚的圓形麵皮，在麵皮中央放約 1.5 大匙的餡料，再沿著圓形邊邊摺小摺到完全收口呈小圓包子的形狀。
- 中大火預熱平底鍋與 1 小匙油。均勻放入包好的包子，中間預留 2 公分左右的空間，煎 1 分鐘左右，之後倒入 1-1.5 杯麵粉水 (1 小匙麵粉)。
蓋上鍋蓋，等麵粉水滾之後轉中小火，悶煮 12-15 分鐘後，打開鍋蓋讓水分完全蒸發。