The French onion soup contains very simple ingredients but needs your time and patient to slowly cook out the flavors to have a good balance of salty and sweetness.
The most time consuming part and the key to make the soup taste good is to caramelize onion for about 45 mins to 1 hour. You need to be careful not to burn the onion but still keep it slowly cooked till lightly brown before you add any liquid into the soup.
Also, white wine is another key to a tasty onion soup. My rule of thumb is don’t add any wine that you don’t want to drink directly into any of the dishes you are about to cook. Today I used a new trade-in pinot grigio introduced by a staff from the liquor store I normally shop at. It is smooth, not too sweet, has some citrus flavor, but not tart. I just open this bottle and start drinking while cooking. Makes the kitchen a little more “fun”. 🙂
I know most of the recipes teach us to use a fancy baking bowl to pour in the soup, soak in a slice of baguette topped with cheese, and then bake till the cheese melt. However, I just like my bread keeps its crispy texture and I want to finish it as soon as possible when I dip my bread into the soup before it gets mushy. I normally would just toast the bread with cheese separately before serving the soup. How do you like yours?
Servings: 4-5 Total Time: 2 hours Difficulty: easy
- Unsalted butter 1/4 cup (1/2 stick)
- 3 onions thinly sliced lengthwise
- All purpose flour 2 tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp (adjust by own preference/ optional if the stock used is already salty)
- Dry white wine 1/2 cup
- Natural chicken stock from rotisserie chicken or beef broth 5 cups
- Fresh thyme sprigs or dried thyme 1 tbsp and 2 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 slices of french bread/ baguette
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano 2 tbsp or swiss cheese
- Use a deep pan, melt the butter and put in all the onion strips in medium heat. Sprinkle a little salt, this can soften the onion. Well mix the butter and onion, then put the lid on. Don’t stir the onion for about 15-20 mins.
- Open the lid. Sprinkle the sugar to golden the color of onion. Stir the onion every 2-3 mins and slowly caramelize the onion. When the onion reduced to about half the size with dark golden brown color, stir in flour and cook for another 2 mins.
- Pour in the white wine, chicken broth, the spice pack (dried thyme and bay leaves,) and some freshly cracked black pepper. Turn to high heat to boil the soup. When boil, turn to low heat, put on the lid with a small seam. Let it simmer for another 40-50 mins.
- When almost ready, crack more black pepper and add more salt if needed to adjust the taste to your preference.
- Meanwhile, toast 2-3 slices of baguette drizzled with olive oil and topped with shredded cheese for 5-8 mins. Then ready to serve!!
- 無鹽奶油 1/4 杯 (半條)
- 3 顆洋蔥，縱切細絲
- 中筋麵粉 2 小匙
- 糖 1 小匙
- 鹽 1 小匙 (依個人口味以及高湯的鹹度調整)
- 白葡萄酒 半杯
- 雞高湯(參考Costco 烤雞高湯製做) 或牛高湯 5 杯
- 新鮮百里香一束或乾燥百里香 1 大匙，月桂葉2片
- 粗粒黑胡椒 適量
- 2-3 片法式長棍麵包
- 1 大匙初榨橄欖油
- 帕瑪森乳酪絲或是瑞士起士絲 2 大匙
- 加入白葡萄酒、雞高湯、香料包(百里香與月桂葉)、以及一些現磨黑胡椒粒。轉大火煮至湯滾後轉小火，蓋上鍋蓋留一個小縫讓湯汁慢慢的燉煮40-50分鐘。(白酒也是湯要好喝提味的關鍵，我的選酒原則就是要自己愛喝的酒才加進菜裡，自己都不想喝的酒加進菜裡煮出來味道一定不會好吃，所以我就邊煮菜邊喝酒了～ 很愜意～ )
- 當湯快燉好的時候，再加更多黑胡椒以及鹽調味。同時，準備法國麵包片，灑上橄欖油跟起士絲，用小烤箱烘烤5-8 分鐘到起士融化、麵包酥脆，就可以搭配湯品一起吃囉！ (很多食譜都用很假掰的酥皮湯碗，把麵包泡進湯裡上頭加起士再一起送進烤箱烤，但我個人偏好酥酥脆脆的麵包沾湯吃，不喜歡麵包泡到湯裡面以後變爛爛的口感，所以就分開烤麵包囉！你們喜歡哪種吃法呢？)